The speaker evaluation process can be tiring and overwhelming, so having a checklist by your side
at all times is one way to make sure you stay on track. Below is a list of 12 questions that will help you select the right speaker, eliminate surprises, and maximize the value of the engagement:
- Does the speaker customize his/her presentation? If so, to what degree?
- Is the speaker entertaining as well as informative?
- Does the speaker use only clean and appropriate humor?
- Is the speaker accessible to attendees before and after the event?
- Does the speaker “hard sell” products from the platform?
- Is the speaker’s office responsive to requests for information?
- Is the speaker easy to get along with?
- Is the speaker’s fee negotiable? If yes, what value could I offer in exchange for a fee reduction? (i.e., Can I provide the speaker any of the following: master video of the session, attendee list, testimonial letter, referrals, extra nights’ accommodations, choice of speaking time, choice of date, multiple performance contract, extra publicity, spouse airfare and meals, purchase of products, services, etc.?)
- Does the speaker’s standard fee schedule include any discounts? (For certain geographical areas, resorts, time of year, non-profit organizations, etc.)
- Can the speaker fill more than one slot which will eliminate the need for an additional speaker – saving money on fee and additional travel expenses?
- What are the payment terms of the speaker’s contract?
- Based on all information gathered, am I confident my attendees will be happy with this speaker?
A speakers bureau partner can help you obtain answers to all of these questions, or otherwise, you’ll find them through conversations with the speaker(s) and conversations with past clients of the speaker(s). Once you’ve done your due diligence, you can select your speaker with confidence and look forward to a great event!