Imagine your next conference featuring a keynote that has nothing to do with your core content, yet everything to do with the reason people are attending – to learn, connect and grow. On average, conference attendees forget 70% of what was presented to them 24 hours after the conclusion of the event. They connect with too few new people and tend to lose touch with those they do. Leo Bottary’s new keynote: Maximizing the Value of Your Conference Experience serves as an engaging reminder to attendees about the power of peers and how, together, they can help each other remember 70% of what they learn, make lasting connections, and grow both personally and professionally.
Quick Reference Card
Accountability, Business, Change, Employee Engagement, Leadership, Networking and Relationships, Personal Development, Relationships, Teambuilding
Domestic Keynote Fee Range*:
Corporations, Entrepreneurs, Entry Level, Management, Senior Executives, Women's Groups
• Discover the four ways we engage our peers
• Learn the difference between garden-variety peer influence and peer advantage
• Acquire a framework for improving collaboration and team/group performance
• Discover the gaps that will help move collaboration from good to great
• Walk away with a solid understanding of what peer advantage can mean for themselves and their organizations
*Speaker fees vary based on event location, program duration and other factors, and are subject to change without notice. Please contact us for an accurate fee quote for your event.
Leo Bottary is the founder/managing partner of Peernovation. The central theme of the company is simply “Who you surround yourself with matters.” He leverages his work in the fields of group dynamics and strategic communication to: 1) assist companies with building higher performing teams in the workplace; and, 2) help CEOs and business leaders maximize their peer group experience. He is also an international speaker, author, workshop facilitator, adjunct professor, and thought leader on the topics of Peer Influence, Peer Advantage, and Peernovation.
During his tenure at Vistage Worldwide, Leo directed a thought leadership initiative on the power of peers in business, which resulted in a book he coauthored with Leon Shapiro titled: The Power of Peers: How the Company You Keep Drives Leadership, Growth & Success. It essentially provides a look into how and why formal peer groups are so powerful.
Leo’s most recent book is titled: What Anyone Can Do: How Surrounding Yourself with the Right People Will Drive Change, Opportunity, and Personal Growth. This narrative steps outside the formal peer group arena to examine all the important relationships we have in our lives (parents, teachers, spouses, mentors, children, mentees, etc.) and how if we enlisted their support more frequently and pointedly, we would all do the things anyone can do far more often.
In addition to his work as a speaker and thought leader on peer advantage, Leo also serves as an instructor for Rutgers University. Prior to that, he was an adjunct professor for two of Seton Hall University’s graduate programs, where he led online learning teams and on campus residencies. In April 2015, he was named adjunct teacher of the year for its College of Communication and the Arts. This is Leo’s 6th year as a mentor in the CHAMP program.
Before joining Vistage in 2010, Leo enjoyed a 25-year career counseling leaders in strategic communication. During that time, he served as a Senior Vice President (Corporate Practice) and Director of Client Service for the US at Hill & Knowlton. He also founded an award-winning public relations agency, which he sold in 2000.
Leo earned a BA from Jacksonville University, an MA in Strategic Communication and Leadership from Seton Hall University, and has completed his doctoral coursework (organizational leadership concentration) at Northeastern University.
Learn more at leobottary.com.
Maximizing the Value of Your Conference Experience - How to Leverage the Power of Peer Groups and Group Dynamics to Drive Higher Performing Teams
What is it?
The perfect set-up for helping attendees absorb, share, and apply the rich content they will receive during their breakout sessions. It’s an engaging reminder of the power of peers and how, together, they can help each other remember 70% of what they learn, make lasting connections, and grow as professionals. The audience is taken on a journey that starts with the peer influence they experienced as kids. They explore why we need one another as adults, what’s possible when we choose to learn and work together, and how to realize the benefits long after the conclusion of the event.
Who is it for?
Attendees at any conference who want to boost their ability to learn, connect and grow – both during and after the event. On average, attendees forget 70% of what was presented to them after 24 hours. They connect with too few people, tend to lose touch with those they do, and don’t apply nearly enough of what they learned. Leo’s keynote inspires the audience to tap into the richest resource at the event – their fellow attendees.
What is the experience?
Entertaining, inspiring and informative.
What is the takeaway value?
Attendees will receive the five factors essential to helping help them remember as much as they would have otherwise forgotten. They’ll be inclined to reach out and connect with more attendees. They will approach these new connections as relationships rather than transactions, add to their network, and adopt peer-to-peer learning behaviors that will benefit them personally and professionally for years to come.
Available in Keynote and Workshop Format, with Six Different Areas of Emphasis to Support Your Team or Organization:
- How Peer Groups Can Maximize Your Learning and Development Investment. With organizations across the globe spending north of $350 billion on training their employees, it’s a clear priority yet a shockingly ineffective investment. Not because of the quality of the training, but because there’s no mechanism for facilitating effective implementation. The lessons are lost, as smaller staffs charged with doing more even faster simply don’t have the time or the forum to absorb and implement what they’ve learned. As a result, everybody loses. Find out how peer groups inside your organization can help you breathe new life into your learning and development program! (50 minutes)
- How Group Dynamics Can Drive Higher Performing Teams. A keynote presentation on how understanding group dynamics translates to building higher performing teams in the workplace. Bottary looks at high performing teams in business and in sports and offers a simple group dynamics-based model for organizational teams that they can implement easily and immediately. (50 minutes)
- Who You Surround Yourself With Matters. A keynote presentation on the power of peer groups for business leaders. While reading books, going to graduate school, and hiring coaches can be useful, Bottary believes we learn best when we learn together and from one another. Bottary reveals how and why peer groups are so effective and why every organization should consider creating internal peer groups to drive greater learning/implementation and higher performance. (50 minutes)
- How Group Dynamics Can Drive Higher Performing Teams (Plus). For leaders and teams who aspire to go beyond the keynote and roll up their sleeves, you’ll self-assess yourselves using the five factors common to high performing teams, developed from the group model featured in The Power of Peers. The workshop includes a number of dynamic/interactive exercises that will help you identify how to bridge the gap between where you are today and where you want to be tomorrow. (Half-Day)
- The 2.0 version of Bottary’s CEO/Key Executive Peer Advisory Group Self-Assessment Workshop is designed for experienced peer advisory business groups who want to “up their game” and receive even more value from their investment. (Half-Day)
- An “Aspirational Workshop” designed specifically for newly formed business peer groups who want to establish a solid foundation for growth and optimize their ability to create value for one another over time. (Half-Day)
“I met Leo Bottary online when I was looking to strengthen my inner circle with the best leaders in the peer-to-peer industry. I couldn’t stop until I finished the last page of his book, The Power of Peers. Some weeks later, we (CEO World and ANJE) invited him to come to Porto to deliver an incredible talk about Peer Advantage and participate in two peer group sessions. Leo is definitely a peer evangelist, always willing to support his peers to grow every single day.” — Miguel Dias, Founder and CEO of ScaleUp Academy